Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year 2011 in Korea

One of interesting fact in South Korea is that as the year changes, you get older by one ... so it doesn't depend on which year, month and date you were born, but it depends on which year you were born. As an example, I was born on July 7th, 1989 (please remember ... I expect presents), then, my age is 21 and it's going to be 22 by July 7, 2011. But then in Korea, as soon as the year changed to 2011 (January 1, 2011) I -in their term- eat one more age, so my age is 23 on January 1, 2011. wait ... isn't that supposed to be 22?? Nope~ because in Korea as soon as you are born, you are 1 year old :). Yes~ I am 23 years old.
The last day of 2010, in Korean language class I asked my teacher what will happen that night in Korea. I was expecting some fireworks like what Indonesian always do every new years, but nope ... she said there would be no fireworks ... instead, in Seoul there is an event where they ring a very huge bell for 33 times. 33 because a long time ago there are 33 important people in history of Korea. And the ones who will ring the bell are 33 famous people in Korea. Seoul would be crowded by people instead the fact that it  must be freaking cold!! that's what she said.
What did I do last night to spend last night of 2010?? Friends!!yeah, I spent my time with special friends I met in Korea. Felicia, Edvan, Yongam, Sophia, and a lil bit late with Seon Uk. These specials people, with a small celebration has left a very special memory in 2010 =].
Three of us first went to a chicken restaurant called Chicken Island to eat ... chicken of course hahah. The chicken restaurant is located in Gung-dong and its a pretty place.


Next, as I mention about the interesting fact in Korea that as soon as the year changed we gain one more age, I had this idea to buy a cake to celebrate our "birthday". We then went to BaskinBRRobbins and buy the cake. 
and we (5 of us, excluding Seon Uk) went to Edvan's house and there we played poker hahahah and you know what the bet was ... candies ^^.
And as the year changed, we took that quite nice picture that I put up there, where all the cellphone's clock are either 12:00 or 00:00 and we ate the cake while saying our resolution for 2011, the best thing in 2010 and the worst thing in 2010. Mine was:
Resolution for 2011 (common wishes excluded):
- I want to get accepted in one of university in Korea.
- I want to go to other countries at least one
- I want to have "someone"
That's all. then Seon Uk came and we ate chicken (again!!) and continued playing poker until we were exhausted.
Other things are that every new year, I always remember my best friend birthday in Indonesia. His birthday is on the last day of the year =]. And my family called me and hearing their voice made that new's year eve ... really special. I felt like they are always there next to me =].
Happy New Year 2011~~

January 1, 2011
앙가

5 comments:

  1. Good luck for your 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your note. It was interesting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @192 형 새해 복 많이 받으세요~~
    @Ucan thanks for visiting :) Happy New Year 2011

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice~
    I hope your wishes for 2011 come true.
    I liked the Idea of betting candies on poker~

    Have a good time in Korea
    and Good luck my friend.

    From a friend in Brazil.
    Gabriel Cantidio

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey dude~
    I am waiting for you here ^^

    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete