Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Uncertain

Dear Readers,

Have you ever once thought about what you really want to do? Have you already been satisfied or happy about what you do for living? Do you know you passion? Do you enjoy your job?
Life, it is only once, people say. Yet, do you agree with me that many people among us wasting it doing something that they actually do not enjoy. Example, someone who enjoys fishing works as a bank teller with salary USD 15K/year. Well, he might be happy with his salary, but does he enjoy his life?
After graduating from school, you will work for the rest of your life. Wake up in the morning and get back in the evening doing the same thing that actually you don't have passion in. I think this is serious ... and this is exactly what I uncertain of.
This is not the first time this big question pop up in my mind. What will I do after I graduate? Of course get a job. But, what job? I read one of the article from a quite interesting and famous travel blog about someone who likes traveling. She used to work in an office and later she realized that she does not really enjoy it. Then, she wrote on her blog that some professor from her university said to her about this "passion". And of course I do believe if you work with passion, you will enjoy it. The blogger finally became a full time traveler and travel writer. She is paid to travel but she has to write about it which is the two things she says she enjoys the most. What a lucky woman.
It would be so amazing if I could be like her. But that's not as easy as picking your nose, my friend. I should say, she is bloody talented. Her words is like digital moving image on my brain when I read her blog. It feels real like we actually on the place she is writing about. Second, she has travel hour way more than me. She has been anywhere way before blog even exists, I assume. Experience, that what she has got. Of course, I would trust and pay her to go travel and write because she has so much talent and experience. I do enjoy traveling but that's the problem my man. I am just a free writer, lack of experience and no talent at all. I am not being modest, but I know my self. Who would pay me to go travel?
Now I go to my other option which pretty much real. I mean it has chances to be realized. I am a student in Computer and Information Engineering and I am pretty much good at it. But 'good' does not mean I enjoy it. I do like challenges, like solving a problem, googling, reading the whole forum just to make a diamond shape by using asterisk sign using C++ codes. Being a programmer is the most likely i will be after graduating. But remembering that I am going to sit down in a 4x4 cubicle with a desktop, a pile of papers, coffee, and a sticker says "My life is good" for 8 hours everyday really turns me down. I have internship experience in one of foreign company in my hometown when I was in high school. I was in IT department and I can see a pack of programmer there. And believe me, they are fat and boring (and damn bored-looking).
I remember one day, when I was at my hometown having vacation. I was with a good friend sitting and drinking chocolate milk at a cafe. We were talking about many things, and of course we also talking about this. He is a senior in one of university in Indonesia, but he also works in a newspaper, I think as a journalist. He also has internship experience in the same company that I did my internship, only he is in different department and different time of course. He asked me whether I want to work at that company again, and I said, no ... why? because my whole life will be doing the same thing until I die. Wake up, work(office), lunch, work (office), go back home. If you don't understand what I mean, you really have to know the company. It is a huge company and the office is just a room and you are obligated to stay there. The only time to go out is to eat or to pray and that's it for the whole day. He agreed with me. Then he told me that he really enjoy his job at the newspaper, but yet again, he whispered to me "But the salary ...". Urgh!!

앙가

PS: The woman that I put on this post is Trinity. She has this really interesting blog and she also has some published book. Go to naked-traveler.com and you will enjoy her story, so much! just like me.

1 comment:

  1. Umm...I really don't understand why people like to talk about money. Money is important — but not everything, for me.

    And talk About the enjoying life with Passion, huuft memang susah banget untuk berani ka (aku juga begitu).

    I just realized, your blog look more fresh and cleaner with white background.

    ReplyDelete